The VLearn portal is open. Students may submit their VLearn requests here.
What is VLearn?
VLearn offers students the opportunity to connect outside the classroom with faculty, regardless of physical location. By using the VLearn directory, students can be confident that the faculty on the directory will welcome any invitation to VLearn, from any student.
FLUNCH (the signature program in which students invite faculty to lunch on campus free of cost) is temporarily suspended during the pandemic, but you can still VLearn!
In addition, we created a permanent VLearn directory to introduce students to faculty ambassadors who have prioritized faculty-student interaction outside of the classroom.
VLearn makes it easy for students who are on and off-campus to connect with any faculty member who accepts an invitation. By using the VLearn directory, students can be confident that the faculty on the directory will welcome any invitation to VLearn, from any student.
Who can VLearn?
Duke undergraduates can invite any Duke professor, whether or not they are part of the directory to VLearn.
Any faculty member invited by a student can accept a VLearn request. Also, faculty who are interested can join the permanent VLearn directory, thereby providing access for students to learn more about listed faculty and connect with them. The directory provides insights on faculty personal and academic interests.
How to VLearn for students?
- Submit your VLearn request through this link to our office at least 3 business days before you plan to hold your VLearn meeting.
- Invite a faculty member to VLearn by directly emailing them and decide on a mutually convenient time and virtual platform. We encourage students to host their VLearn over Zoom, however other platforms can be used.
- Student hosts may invite up to five student guests to attend a VLearn with them. Students can host or attend as many VLearn meetings as they wish.
- VLearn will not accommodate in-person meetings. All conversations will operate virtually due to COVID-19 and social distancing guidelines.
- Note: the faculty member invited to your VLearn does not receive automatic notice of your VLearn approval. You must coordinate and confirm details with faculty guests on your own.
As a memento of your experience…
- Students who host a VLearn and faculty who participate are eligible for a one-time unique commemorative gift from Duke Stores. To receive the gift, student hosts need to take and submit a screenshot of the VLearn showing you, your guests and the faculty member.
- We encourage students to submit their screenshot as soon as possible after their VLearn as the cut off for submission is one month after the VLearn takes place.
Maintaining the VLearn connection
Maintaining the connection with the faculty member after your VLearn is equally as important as the initial meeting itself. The VLearn is just the start of building up your relationship with this faculty member who in turn may become a trusted advisor or mentor for you during and after your academic journey at Duke.
- Say thank you
- After your VLearn is held, reach out to the faculty member via email to thank them for meeting with you.
- Keep up regular communication
- If you are interested in maintaining contact with this faculty member, reach out regularly through email, following up on discussions from your VLearn, or checking in.
- Future meetings
- Suggest a follow up meeting if you have more to discuss from your initial VLearn, or wish to ask for their advice or mentorship on a particular path or academic goal.
- January 20th, 2021 is the first day to schedule a VLearn
- April 23rd, 2021 is the last day to schedule a VLearn
- April 27th, 2021 is the last day to host a Vlearn.
How to VLearn (for faculty):
All Duke faculty (including adjunct, professors of the practice and tenure or tenure-track), are eligible to participate in a student-initiated VLearn.
In addition, you are invited to join the VLearn directory. The VLearn directory consists of brief individual faculty profiles. Its purpose is to enhance student – faculty interaction by connecting students to faculty with diverse academic and personal interests.
Questions about VLearn? Email firstname.lastname@example.org.