Checklist for Students Requesting a Return
Consult timelines for return and pay special attention to registration dates.
- Complete the Time Away Return Request Form.
- If you are requesting a return from a Medical Leave of Absence, your treating providers will complete the return medication documentation. The Time Away Office will send a copy of the required form to your provider (with you copied on the email) based on the provider contact information you enter into the Time Away Return Request Form. Completed forms are to be submitted directly by your provider to the Time Away Office by secure email to firstname.lastname@example.org or the forms can be faxed to (919) 668-6393.
- Contact the Bursar's Office to reconcile any outstanding financial balances and ensure you have clearance for return. The Bursar's Office can be reached at (919) 684-3531 or email@example.com. We recommend that you call and email the Bursar's office.
- Request for Transfer Credit: If you are eligible to transfer credits back to Duke, you must request that an official transcript be sent directly to Duke's Registrar's Office. Only transcripts sent directly from the visiting institution’s Office of the Registrar are considered official documents. It is against faculty regulations for any candidate to take a course at another university and later enroll in the equivalent course at Duke. After your official transcript has been reviewed by your review committee, it will be forwarded to Duke’s Office of the Registrar independent of your return decision. If you were academically dismissed or suspended, you are not eligible to receive credit for course work completed during your time away.
- Students experiencing mental health and health concerns may qualify for classroom or housing accommodations through the Americans With Disabilities Act (ADA). Please visit the SDAO website or call the Student Disability Access Office, at (919) 668-1329 for additional information.