Mechanical Engineering and Materials Science; Chemistry
- I work on computational methods, based on quantum mechanics, to understand and predict the properties of real materials from scratch ... ideally, just by computation.
- I suspect that this is what I'll be doing for the rest of my career - I really am having a lot of fun with this research. Way too many interesting questions. If only there were more hours to a day.
- And on the other bright side, I seem to get to work with a remarkable environment of colleagues and friends all over the globe. Europe, China, South Africa, South America ... Somewhat amazing to me.
- Beyond all of the science, what is interesting about this group is that they are generally kind, thoughtful people - they tend to think deeply, they are supportive of one another, they are overall good people. It took me some years to even realize what a special group this is.
- And then, of course, there is Duke itself ... another good environment. Hopefully, your experience is as good as mine. But whatever it is, let me know.