FLUNCH = Faculty + Lunch
The FLUNCH program is designed to encourage student-faculty interaction outside the classroom.
Only FLUNCHes with individuals teaching academic undergraduate classes will be approved. This does not include non-teaching advisors or instructors for physical education courses, house courses, lab, discussion, and recitation sections.
Each undergraduate student can use up to $70 of FLUNCH funds per semester. Students are responsible for any additional charges that exceed the $70 limit. All vendors (aside from The Commons, which does not accept food points) will accept cash, FLEX and food points. The FLUNCH dollar amount you see listed on the MyDuke or DukeCard websites displays the amount you have already used for this semester. If you have not yet FLUNCHed this semester, your amount should list $0. A 10% tip will be added to FLUNCHes held at The Commons. The tip amount counts toward a student's $70/semester FLUNCH account.
The FLUNCH program does not cover alcohol purchases nor purchases of items for consumption by the student after the FLUNCH is held. Inappropriate charges to a student's FLUNCH account may be charged to the student's food points or Bursar account and may be considered violations of the Duke Community Standard. Students must be degree-seeking at Duke in order to participate in FLUNCH. The last day to submit a FLUNCH request is the last day of class for a given semester; the last day to hold an approved FLUNCH is the Friday of exam week each semester.
How to FLUNCH:
1. Invite your professor to FLUNCH and decide on a mutually convenient time and location. Note that FLUNCHes can only be held between 10:00 am and 4 pm Monday through Friday. FLUNCH allows students to invite faculty to dine with them at the following campus locations during the FLUNCH timeframe:
- The Commons (reservations encouraged)
- JB's Roasts and Chops
- The Skillet
- The Divinity Cafe
- The East Campus Marketplace
- The Freeman Center (except Friday evening).
2. You should submit your FLUNCH request at least 3 business days before you plan to hold your FLUNCH. Note that it is not always possible to approve a FLUNCH request submitted one day before or the same day as the date the FLUNCH will be held.
3. Once approved, take a printed copy of your approval email and give it to the cashier so your FLUNCH will be charged to your FLUNCH account. Note that the faculty member invited to your FLUNCH does not receive automatic notice of your FLUNCH approval. You must coordinate and confirm details with faculty guests on your own. You will not be reimbursed for holding a FLUNCH without receiving an approval email before you hold your FLUNCH. Students may invite up to five student guests to attend a FLUNCH with them. However, only students who submit a FLUNCH request will have the FLUNCH charged to their account. In order for FLUNCH to be charged to all students account, each student must submit a request.
The FLUNCH Request form for Spring 2020 is open. You may access the form here
The last day to request a FLUNCH for the Spring Semester will be April 22nd, 2020. The last day to host a FLUNCH will be May 1st, 2020.
If your approved FLUNCH was not correctly charged to FLUNCH, please submit the FLUNCH Inquiry form to request a review of your lunch charge.
All questions about FLUNCH should be sent to VPUE@duke.edu.