FLUNCH COVID GUIDELINES
Kindly plan to eat FLUNCH meals outdoors when possible. There is evidence of higher transmission rates indoors and over shared meals, so do what you can to mitigate any risk for yourself and others while eating.
Kindly limit FLUNCH groups to four or less people indoors. As a reminder, the University's dining policy is that students are encouraged to sit outside, when possible, but when eating inside there can be no more than four to a table.
Please read updated guidelines for eating on-campus for more.
FLUNCH = Faculty + Lunch
The FLUNCH program is designed to encourage student-faculty interaction outside the classroom.
Only FLUNCHes with individuals teaching academic undergraduate classes will be approved. This does not include non-teaching advisors or instructors for physical education courses, house courses, lab, discussion, and recitation sections.
Each undergraduate student can use up to $70 of FLUNCH funds per semester. Students are responsible for any additional charges that exceed the $70 limit. The FLUNCH dollar amount you see listed on the MyDuke or DukeCard websites displays the amount you have already used for this semester. If you have not yet FLUNCHed this semester, your amount should list $0. A 10% tip will be added to FLUNCHes held at The Commons. The tip amount counts toward a student's $70/semester FLUNCH account.
The FLUNCH program does not cover alcohol purchases nor purchases of items for consumption by the student after the FLUNCH is held. Inappropriate charges to a student's FLUNCH account may be charged to the student's food points or Bursar account and may be considered violations of the Duke Community Standard. Students must be degree-seeking at Duke in order to participate in FLUNCH. The last day to submit a FLUNCH request is the last day of class for a given semester; the last day to hold an approved FLUNCH is the Friday of exam week each semester.
How to FLUNCH
1. Invite your professor to FLUNCH and decide on a mutually convenient time and location. Note that FLUNCHes can only be held between 10:00 am and 4 pm Monday through Friday. FLUNCH allows students to invite faculty to dine with them at the following campus locations during the FLUNCH timeframe:
- The Commons (reservations encouraged)
- JB's Roasts and Chops
- The Skillet
- The East Campus Marketplace
- The Freeman Center
2. Please plan ahead by making sure all FLUNCH participants, both students, and faculty, are available on the day and time the request is made for. All requests must be made at least 3 business days before your FLUNCH is held. Requests made on the same day will not be approved. Requests submitted more than 3 business days in advance are guaranteed to be approved for eligible students.
Any inquiries about an upcoming FLUNCH should also be made no less than 3 business days in advance to receive a response in a timely manner. If a FLUNCH event needs to be rescheduled from the original date listed on the request form, students do not need to submit another request. Students MUST submit another request form if it is for a new FLUNCH (i.e., with a new or different faculty member).
3. Once approved, take your approval email and show it to the cashier so your FLUNCH will be charged to your FLUNCH account. Note that the faculty member invited to your FLUNCH does not receive automatic notice of your FLUNCH approval. You must coordinate and confirm details with faculty guests on your own. You must receive an approval email before you hold your FLUNCH to be reimbursed. Students may invite up to 5 guests if they have enough FLUNCH money left to cover the bill. Otherwise, they should have 1 or 2 of their student invitees submit an application for the same FLUNCH so they can split the cost. Only students who submit a FLUNCH request can have the bill, or a portion of the bill, charged to their account. In order to assure bills can be split, students are strongly encouraged to call their chosen dining location ahead of time to inquire about whether they are able to do so. However, only students who submit a FLUNCH request will have the FLUNCH charged to their account. In order for FLUNCH to be charged to all students account, each student must submit a request. Splitting checks is at the discretion of the eatery where you hold your FLUNCH. Please contact the eatery in advance. If an eatery does not allow checks to be split, be sure to make an agreement among your student guest before you attend a FLUNCH of who will pay for the meal.
4. If a student needs a refund because they mistakenly used their flex or food point for a FLUNCH transaction, they must request a refund within the same week (Monday-Friday) at the same location where the original transaction occurred. The original transaction will then be billed to their FLUNCH account.
Submissions for Spring 2023 requests start January 12, 2023. Please allow 1-3 business days for processing.
Submit your application here: https://dukecard.duke.edu/flunch
Spring 2023 application closes at 5 PM on the last day of classes, April 26, 2023. All pre-approved FLUNCH requests must be held by May 5, 2023.
FLUNCH is unavailable during the Summer.
Email questions to email@example.com.
All questions about FLUNCH should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.